ELKHART INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT
Schoolwide Title I Paraprofessional Qualifications
(Effective beginning with the 2002-2003 School Year.)
According to The United States Department of Education Office of Elementary and Secondary Education, Texas Commissioner of Education James E. Nelson, and the No Child Left Behind Act of January 8, 2002, the provisions for qualification as an Instructional Paraprofessional on a Schoolwide Title I Campus (all Elkhart ISD campuses are Schoolwide Title I Campuses) are as follows:
Instructional Paraprofessionals hired after January 8, 2002 must meet these requirements by the date of hire.
- Transcript documentation of two (2) years of study at an accredited institution of higher education (48 or more college credit hours—not CPE or similar credit), or
- Diploma for an Associates or a higher degree, or
- Documentation of having met a rigorous standard of quality and able to demonstrate, through formal State or local academic assessment, knowledge of and the ability to assist in instructing reading, writing, and mathematics (or, as appropriate, reading readiness, writing readiness, and mathematics readiness).
Qualifying Local Assessment Standards adopted by Elkhart ISD:
- Documentation of Paraprofessional Institute Training provided by Region VII Education Service Center or a similar facility, or
- Documentation of having passed the TASP, THEA, or an equivalent college assessment test and having completed twelve (12) or more college credit hours (not CPE or similar credit) at an accredited institution of higher education.
- Qualification through PAKS (Paraprofessional Assessment of Knowledge and Skills) until the individual can attend and successfully complete a Region VII or similar facility Paraprofessional Institute if the district chooses to use PAKS in lieu of the previous two qualifying local assessment standards.